Translate

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Just One Kiss
 
Chapter 7
 
 
  
I stood in front of Collum, fully dressed in my medieval Irish servant’s gown. The fabric wasn’t bad as far as comfort went, the corset, on the other hand, that was a different story. He’d laced that puppy up tight. I think he might have cracked a rib.
 
 
“Twill have to do on such short notice. I will have to search for some footwear.” I couldn’t get over the drastic change of the room as compared to the condition of the place from my time. No chunks of stone lying here and there. Nope, it was perfectly decorated with tapestries on the walls, an intricate rug on the floor, a grand bed at the far end of the room, but I didn’t see the stone table that I had been laying on before.
 
 
There was a wardrobe to the direct right of the door, a table and chairs to the left of the door, a desk along the wall by the fireplace, and the fireplace itself was whole and clean, with a blazing fire roaring on the hearth.
 
 
 
This room was lived in, not abandoned and crumbling as it had been the last time I was here.

“If there be anything else that you are in need of, do let me know. I will return with slippers but then I must be off to my other duties, please excuse me.” He bowed, turned, and exited the room, leaving me in complete wonder of how I looked. Did he not have a mirror, I thought. I soon realized that I couldn’t breathe too deeply and I absently put my hand to my abdomen. This was something I wouldn’t get used to, not in a million years. I all ready missed my modern underthings. I walked slowly over to the sumptuous bed and I ran my fingers over the high detail of the bed cover. Someone had worked their fingers to the bone making this bed cover, I thought. I looked down at the floor next to the bed, searching for that loose piece of stone that covered his hidden treasure box.
 
 
I saw a brick that was missing its corner.
 
 
I started to bend down, but the tightness of the corset suffocated me and I had to stand back up. How did these women stand this, I wondered.

A knock came on the door suddenly. “Yes?” I asked. The door opened a crack and Liam’s face appeared, eyes closed.

“Are thee decent Lady Kate?”

I smiled. “Yes I am.”

“Good.” He entered the room and closed the door behind him. I stepped out from around the bed so he could see me in my borrowed outfit. “Is that what he dressed you in?” I could see he really didn’t like it.
 
 
“He said it was the quickest thing he could find.” Liam shook his head.

“This won’t do. He will find better attire for you than this. These are rags! And your hair, something must be done with that as well. I wish for you to look as a servant but not one that just arrived from the scullery.” I had no idea what or where a scullery was but it didn’t sound good. “No, this will not do. If it were possible, I would have you dressed in the finest gowns I could find but such cannot be allowed. I will go speak with Collum, please wait until he’s redressed you before you leave the room.” I smiled.

“Of course.” My breath ran out of me and I suddenly couldn’t find it. My hand flew to my chest.
 
 
He rushed to my side, his face covered in worry. “Are you not well?”

“The corset. I’m not used to it.”

“Oh. Hmph. I shall tell him to not tie it so tight as well. Please help me by removing your apron and kirtle so that I can loosen it for you.”

“What is a kirtle?” My head was swimming.

“This outer gown you wear.” He tugged on the shoulder to help me understand.

“Oh.” I took off the very used looking apron and started lifting the kirtle up over my head. He took it from me and flung it over to the bed. And then he immediately went to the ties of the corset down my back. The rush of air in my lungs was an instant relief. I breathed in and out deeply a few times.
 
 
“That’s so much better. Thank you Liam.” I knew I was blushing again. He came to face me, a gorgeous smile on his lips. He had my kirtle in his hands.

“I wouldn’t wish for you to be indecent while you wait. Please lift your arms.” I did as he requested and he slipped the gown back over my arms and down my body. I put the apron back over my head, tied it around my waist, and was fully dressed again in my unacceptable outfit. He looked in my eyes, his expression now unreadable. His handsome face tugged at my heart. After what felt like a long moment, he spoke again. “I shall find Collum and have your attire corrected. I will return afterwards.”

“Ok.” I nodded as he walked away. I was soon left alone in the room once again. My mind dwelt on that brief moment that he gazed at me. I wondered what thoughts ran through his brain.

Collum returned shortly, another gown in hand and a pair of brown leather slippers in the other. He helped me redress and then sat me down at the desk to fix my hair.
 
 
He babbled on about this and that while he fixed my hair. He told me about this person and what they did and then this other person who did this other thing. I couldn’t keep up. I had no idea who any of these people were and my attention wouldn’t stay with his jabber. When he was finished, he left to fetch Liam, hoping for his approval.
 
 
“Much better!” Were Liam’s words to me upon his second inspection. “Now, Lady Juliet will be arriving within the half hour. No matter what you may find, please do not speak with Lady Juliet. She knows of my uncle’s treachery and she has her own direction that we have all ready discussed. And I do not wish to alarm her with the sight of you.” I nodded.

“I will avoid her, promise.” I confirmed.

He smiled. “Good. I do wish for you to enjoy your time here, as much as possible. Mine uncle will be here in two days. There is much work to be done until then. I will try to not leave your side while you are here, but I have my responsibilities as lord and preparations for the entrapment of my uncle to handle. Now, this evening, we will go see my friend Malcom, who will tell us of your blood ties. He is the one who made it possible for me to sleep and for you to be here now.”
 
 
“Ah, your magic man.” I had to smile.

“Not magic completely. He just knows the true worth of plants and other aspects of nature. and how they can be used when combined in certain mixtures. He’s a good fellow.” Yes, magic, was my thought.

“All right.” I paused as my stomach growled angrily. I saw him notice this and I put my hand to my stomach. “Yeah, I guess I’m kinda hungry.” He smiled, making my heart melt once again.

“Shall I have something brought up for you?”

“If you wouldn’t mind.”

“Of course not. Supper will be had shortly but I will not suffer you to wait.”

“Thanks.” I returned his smile all though I doubt I caused him the same reaction that his smile effected upon me. I looked down at the dark blue dress I wore. I still wondered what I looked like. “Liam, do you have a mirror?” I looked back up at his enigmatic face.

“Why yes, in my bathing chamber.” He gestured to the door behind me. He took the short steps and opened the door for me. I followed his steps and soon had my first glimpse of a medieval bathroom. There was a wooden tub in the center of the room, a small table that had a bowl sitting on top of it against the wall to the left of me, and further on down that wall, a wooden box with a hole cut out of the top with a door on the front of it sat. I guessed this was their version of a toilet.
 
 
 
At the far end of the room were a partition and a full length mirror. To this mirror, I walked over to in quick steps.

I didn’t recognize myself. I have worn long gowns before but never like this dress. The corset that was strapped upon me changed my shape noticeable. But the gown itself was dreamlike with its ties down the front and the loose wrap around my hips that made the look so romantic with their detail. And the dark blue color was rich and lovely. I took noticed of my hair that Collum had twisted, braided, and knotted up on top of my head. It was wonderfully done and impossible to tell that my hair actually hung down to the middle of my back. I suddenly realized that Liam had been standing behind me this whole time, wearing an approving smile.
 
 
“Does your appearance agree with you as well?” He asked.

“Oh yes, it’s wonderful. I don’t even look like myself.” I was really amazed at my reflection.

“I think you look lovely.” His face stiffened abruptly and a complete change came over him. “I must apologize for being forward.” He looked away from me. “I will go and make certain a meal is sent for you.”

I knew I certainly shouldn’t feel awkward or offended by his quick and unnecessary apology, but I liked his comment. And I didn’t mind it one bit. I hoped he hadn’t noticed that my face dropped when he said he was sorry for complimenting me. I tried my best to recover my composure as soon as I could.

“It’s ok Liam. Thank you for what you said.” He gave an all too brief smile and left the room. I wondered what that was all about. I studied my new look for a little while longer then wandered back to the bedroom.

A short while later, Collum brought up a plate and glass filled with milk so I could silence my noisy stomach. It was a small pie, an apple plum tart as Collum called it. The milk had to be fresh; it tasted wonderful and creamy. The tart wasn’t very sweet but it was rather good anyway.
 
 
I finished my snack in no time. I was sure that Lady Juliet would be arriving soon and that I wouldn’t be seeing Liam again until it was time to go visit Malcom.

4 comments:

  1. Baby makes 3... I too love this story... The photos are great, and all the cc is perfect with the story... I am enjoying reading this story again... It's even better than the first time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe all the research and hunting for cc/poseboxes I had to do for this story? Yeah, I learned lots of stuff about medieval Ireland. I didn't do any research when I had originally first written the story but I didn't have to change much when I rewrote it. It all worked out perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete