Translate

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Just One Kiss
Chapter 8

A carriage led by two impressive horses drew me to the window. It had come to a stop before the giant front doors of the castle. The man who had driven the carriage stepped down and opened the door of the cab. He held out his hand to assist the passenger out of the cabin. A woman dressed in an extravagantly decorated red gown climbed out of the carriage and smiled pleasantly at whoever was waiting for at the castle doors. It was then that I saw her face and I gasped. She had my face but not exactly. This had to be Lady Juliet. Now I completely understood Liam’s initial assumption about who I was after I had woke him up.


Another young woman followed Lady Juliet out of the carriage. She was a pretty red headed girl, maybe Lady Juliet’s servant. She carried a large, heavy looking basket and stood behind Lady Juliet as Liam came into my view from the castle door.


Lady Juliet and her servant bowed to Liam and he gave a small bow in return. I couldn’t hear what they were saying but their words seemed polite and cordial. Lady Juliet and Liam walked arm in arm into the castle while the red headed girl followed.


It wasn’t long before I heard voices in the hall outside Liam’s bedroom door. I left the window and put my ear to the door.



Ok, so I was being nosey, but isn’t that why he brought me here, I thought. I heard Liam’s deep male voice reminding her that supper would be served shortly. She said thank you and I heard a door open and several footsteps, both coming and going. Her voice was much higher than mine, sounded sweeter to me, maybe it was the accent, I wasn’t completely sure. I was tempted to go knock on her door but I knew that I shouldn’t. I had promised Liam I would avoid her anyway. My snooping would be reserved for tomorrow since the day was nearly over and I was kinda tired from all the events that happened earlier back in my time. I was pretty sure that I could mark this down as my craziest day ever.

I decided that I would have a quick rest on his bed since I had no idea how soon supper would be coming or even what time it actually was since there was no clock in the room. In fact, I think the only clock I saw was down stairs in the main hall. I closed my eyes and let the sleep wash over me.



I opened my eyes slowly after I don’t even know how long of a nap. Maybe this had all been a dream. Maybe I was back in my hotel room in Dublin and that curious smell that woke me was the food Charlie had brought in for us to eat tonight. Simon would be hopping on my bed soon because he’d think I wasn’t awake yet and Abby would be sitting on the other bed, clicking away at the keys on her laptop. My eyes adjusted to the dim light of the room and the ceiling above me was comprised of bricks of stone, not the cream colored popcorn ceiling of my modern hotel room. I sat up on my elbows, the corset constraining my movement by squeezing my ribs. I was still here in 15th century Ireland. I was still with Liam and we still had his uncle to stop and questions to answer.

My attention was quickly snagged by the wafting interesting smelling current of the food that had been brought up for me at the table. I guess whoever brought it didn’t want to wake me. I just hoped it wasn’t cold. Not like there would be a microwave around anytime soon. I carefully got off the bed, holding my compressed ribcage as I moved. I made my way over to the small table and sat down to examine my supper.



The metal plate had some sort of meat on its bone, a pile of what I assumed to be stewed cabbage, and a small loaf of bread. There was also a metal mug which I took a quick sniff of due to its dark amber contents. I bet this was ale, I mentally guessed. I took a sip, oh holy crap, that was some strong stuff! It not my cup of tea whatsoever and I was done sampling that mug. I decided it was time to attempt the meat. It was a little tough but not too bad tasting. I figured it to be lamb but I couldn’t be sure. Next to try was the lump of cabbage. I didn’t really like cabbage but I thought I’d give it a go anyway. It smelled pretty gross and tasted even worse. I hoped the bread would be the saving grace to this meal. It smelled delicious and was still hot from the oven. I ripped off a chunk from the loaf and I was right, the bread was fantastic. I picked at the meat and ate the bread, hoping that this would hold me over until the morning. But I’d have to make sure I told Liam no more ale, it was awful.

I had just decided that I was done with my meal when a knock came at the door. It slowly opened to reveal the gorgeous stature of Liam. “Ah, you have awoken.” He walked over to the table and I stood as he approached. “You did not find the meal to your liking?” He wore a frown on his face.



“It’s not something I’m used to but I’m fine, only please, no more ale.”

“As you wish. Be thee ready to venture out to see Malcom?” His frown was replaced by his normal congenial expression.



“Sure. Give me a moment to freshen up in the washroom and we can be on our way.” Liam nodded and I quickly went off to the washroom to make sure I still looked presentable. I returned shortly to find him still in his good mood. “Ok, let’s go.”

He went to his wardrobe and pulled out the riding cape and slung it over my shoulders, pulling the hood up over my head.



“This be just until we are clear of the castle.” I smiled up at him from beneath the hood. “Come. I will make my leave to the stable first and then you must follow. Take the hall all the way to the far end where you will find a door. The stairs within will lead you to a hidden back door and ‘tis just a short walk to the stables. I will have a torch lit to guide you. Are these directions understandable enough?”

“Yes, sounds simple enough.” He nodded and left for the stable. I waited a few seconds before I did the same.




In no time, I found myself standing outside, next to his horse with him seated on top of it. He smiled down at me, holding out his hand to assist me up on top of the horse behind him. I sat sidesaddle behind him and I had no idea how I’d be able to hoist my leg over the other side of the horse to sit less dangerously.


“Are thee well situated?” How did he sense my discomfort, I wondered.

“Well, no but I guess I’ll just have to hold on for dear life.” I wrapped my arms around his stomach.

“You have no need to worry, Lady Kate. You will not fall, you have my word.” I put my head against his back as he led his horse out of the front gate and out into the cool night. The breeze felt good on my face. I chose to stay quiet until we were far enough away from listening ears.

“How do you know where you’re going? It’s pitch black out here.” I asked Liam after we had left the glow of the castle walls and was now surrounded by dense forest.



“’Tis not pitch black, there be the moon.” He pointed up to the glowing full moon and the stars that illuminated the sky. The sky was so vast and sparkled with the multitude stars, there must not have a single cloud in the sky. Ok, so it wasn’t that dark out here but still, the nocturnal lights didn’t exactly light up the way.


“I have been over this path many a time throughout my life. Besides, Amin knows it perfectly. Don’t you my friend?” The horse spoke up in response to his master’s words.

“Ok, ok.” I had pulled the hood off my head as soon as we had gotten clear of the castle gates. The air was so fresh and crisp, smelled sweet even. I wasn’t completely comfortable sitting on the horse as I was but the horse’s pace was relaxed and steady. Besides, I had my arms clamped around Liam’s strong masculine form. I wonder if he knew how terrified I was to be riding sidesaddle on his horse, especially in the dark of the night. I sucked down my fear and changed the subject. “So, do I need to watch how I speak to Malcom too?”

“No, speak as freely as you’d like. ‘Twill not alarm him. I suspect he may understand your words better than I do.” I had to smile at that. “But you may have difficulty with his speech.”

“Why? Does he only speak Latin?” I felt a chuckle rumble through his chest.

“No, he is a Highland Scott. It took me years before I learnt his way of speech.”

“Oh.” More barely understandable people, great, I thought.



“Perhaps he will speak at a slower rhythm for you.” I wanted to ask one question that was burning in my mind. It probably wasn’t any of my business but then again, if she really was my ancestor, maybe it was after all.

“So,” I began. “Did you talk to Lady Juliet?” He was quiet for a moment.

“She was tired so I agreed to let her rest and we will speak on the morrow.”

“Ah, ok.” I could feel that I had made things awkward so I didn’t press the topic. In fact, we didn’t talk for the rest of our nightly trip. Soon enough though, I could see a lit up cabin off in the distance before us. He guided the horse over to a man, whom I could only guess to be Malcom, who was waiting for us outside.



4 comments:

  1. The pictures look wonderful! I love this story. That Liam is a hunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is very tasty looking, I must admit :) I'll be having a few days where I'm actually by myself over the next 2 months, maybe I can actually get to redoing the castle and oh my word, finish the pictures.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Me time. Hard to come by when you have a toddler. :)

      Delete
  3. I know, I'm very excited about it

    ReplyDelete