Translate

Monday, May 19, 2014

The More I See You
Chapter 10

We walked on in silence for I don’t even know how long. I needed time to think about everything she told me. Could I really believe her? Efferions are known tricksters, to say and do what they want to get what they want. Whatever they can say and do to get under your skin and you out of your clothes is their goal. But Annalise wasn’t trying to seduce me and I was already here so she didn’t need to prod me into coming to her rescue anymore. She hadn’t used that sort of headache causing magic on me since I’d told her to stop. So what the hell?

The truth or bullshit? And where did all these feelings and emotions keep coming from? Any residual from her magic had been long gone. I was on my own with my thoughts. Was it just from being around her though, breathing in her wonderfully addicting scent, or was it really just me having all these distracting thoughts and whatevers? Was she lying? Am I lying to myself? I couldn’t come up with any answers that I liked.


“Sasha,” she broke in. “I have to go.” I stopped mid step and turned around.

“Again? Ok, go, don’t be late.” She nodded and was gone. I sighed out loud while my insides wanted to scream. I couldn’t keep at this pace. My brain couldn’t take it anymore. Yeah, yeah, I remembered what the Councilwoman said, no running. But she wasn’t with me so I wouldn’t have to make sure she was keeping up. I summoned up all my stealthy abilities and took off on my vampire speed through the thorny jungle. I knew my jacket would be toast after this exercise but at least it would shut my brain up for a bit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Holy shit, is that Annalise?’ my brain asked when I saw the body lying directly ahead of me. I slowed myself down immediately and then came to a complete stop when I stood right above her. She was breathing and also bleeding again. I couldn’t see from where but the wound was worse this time, I could tell by the amount of blood flow. She was trying to raise herself up but collapsed back on the ground. No matter what I felt, there was no way in hell I could touch her.

“Hey, um…” I couldn’t find the words.

“Sasha, I’m sorry, I…” She weakly said as she clutched her stomach while she rolled over onto her back. “It should stop soon, I hope.” She grimaced in pain. I could see she really was hurting. Geezus, what the hell did he do to her this time?

“It’s ok. I’d planned on stopping here anyway, so you just stay where you are.” I quickly went about clearing some of the thorny vines from around our small area so we could have a little more space. Besides, I needed more distance from her until she stopped bleeding. The scent was driving me mad. When I was satisfied with my landscaping, I stood about ten or so feet from her, watching the absolute agony on her face. She really wasn’t lying to my about anything. I saw it all over her.

“Why did he do this, you weren’t late?”

“No.” She breathlessly answered. “He felt like it.” I raised my eyebrow.

“What did he do?”

“Spiked whips across my stomach and then a hook.” I winced. “He’s getting nervous because he knows something is coming to try to stop him. H whipped me to try to get me to talk. I told him I don’t know anything. And then he hung me up by the hook.” Yikes.

“It might be from my running.” I quietly said. I looked off in my verbal thought. So that’s why she told me not to run.

“He knew something before I left you this last time. His guards might have sensed something from the first time I had to leave. I’m sorry I ruined this whole plan.” I sighed and looked at her.

“You haven’t ruined it. Look, when I’m by myself, I can run a hell of a lot faster. So it gets us closer. There’s probably less than a day’s trip now. Just rest here, heal up, and we’ll be on our way again. He doesn’t know it’s me who’s coming, right?

“No. He’s not sure, no one is.”

“Ok, then, there’s still a surprise attack advantage. Don’t worry, ok, just relax.”

“Ok.” She said just before she closed her eyes. Ah hell, I thought as I raked my hand over the top of my hair and down my ponytail, how was I supposed to rest and relax now?

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! Poor Efferion. It seems this is building up to an epic battle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm torturing the crap out of her. But there's the saying that it only's gonna get worse before it gets better, right?

    ReplyDelete