Translate

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The More I See You
Chapter 11

Our current progress was even slower than before. She didn’t wake up near to 100% unlike last time but she insisted that she was good enough to go on. All the speed we’d gained by my running was being made up for with how slow we were walking. What could I do though? I couldn’t tell her to just go ahead and wait for me; she was still my magical shield. I needed her with me. It kept the Murdos guessing and scrambling. They couldn’t tell where I was or that it was actually me because of her. And besides, I wanted her around. I couldn’t let myself fully admit why I wanted her by me but I knew just the same.



Suddenly, I heard her stumble behind me. I quickly turned to see what the matter was. “Hey,” I stopped myself. She looked different. She wasn’t wearing the same clothes as she had been since I’d come here. Her clothes were tattered and torn, dirty in fact. And she looked incredibly pale, like iridescent glass. Even her hair and eyes looked like her skin. It was then that I noticed that she had no shoes on.

“What happened to your clothes and shoes?”

“I can’t create those clothes and shoes anymore. This is what I’ve been wearing since I was brought here. He took my shoes a long time ago cause I kept kicking him. I’m afraid I don’t have much power left. All that I have is my protection for you and to get myself to and back from the castle.”

“You stubbed your toe. It’s bleeding.” Even her blood smelled different, like it too was faded.

“I know. Give me a minute, it should stop bleeding.” I sighed. She couldn’t keep walking around out here without any shoes. She’d keep hurting her feet with all the rocks and thorns everywhere. But how could I help her walk without touching her, I wondered. I had no idea if my abilities would work on her being as that she wasn’t human. As if a light bulb turned on above my head, I remembered I had my leather gloves, nothing gets through those. I put them on and held out my hand to her.

“Here. Maybe if you’re not actually touching my skin, it will be ok.” She was still Efferion, weak as all hell or not. One touch of her skin on mine would destroy all my defenses against her. Knowing what I’d been feeling and thinking, I’d rip the rest of her clothes off and take her for my pleasure. I was praying that the barrier of my leather gloves and jacket would be enough.

“Are you sure?” She weakly asked.

“I don’t see any other choice. You’ve got no shoes and we still have a bit of walking to do. So, come on.” She reached up and took my hand. “Hold onto me as best as you can and I’ll do the rest.” She nodded and wrapped her arms around my waist and I held her to me. God, she was so close, I had to clench my jaw to force myself to focus.

“Sasha, why do you hate me? Her question caught me off-guard.

“What? No, why?”

“It’s because I brought you here and got you into trouble. You might even die because of me.”

“I was going to come here anyway. The council asked me to. And I’m not in trouble, well, not completely. No one’s going to die, not today, not in my plans.”

“Then why have you been so mean?”

“Because I have to focus on what’s going on. You’re dangerous distraction for me and forbidden.”

“What if I wasn’t forbidden?” She was going to say more but I had to stop her.

“I can’t think like that so there’s no point in talking about it.”

“Then, can’t I tell you how I feel?”

“No, please. Can we just not talk anymore? Carrying you is hard enough for my concentration.”

“Ok.” She said sadly. We went on in silence once again. I just couldn’t allow myself to talk aloud all the things that were rattling around in my brain. Why make this whole situation more difficult? I’d kill the Murdos, she’d be free, and then everything would be over soon enough. Life could resume as before. But what if I didn’t really, deep down want it to? God, I was so screwed up.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. Methinks a story of requited love, as opposed to unrequited love, is brewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not giving nothing away!

    ReplyDelete