Translate

Monday, May 5, 2014

The More I See You
Chapter 7

I found myself in a nice, quiet, secluded section of Central Park. The park had been closed for hours, emptied of its visitors and perfect for drunken vampire on a mission. The blood I took was way more than I had ever had on a single nights’ adventure. So, yeah, I was giddy and ready to get this show on the road. I’d stopped at home super-fast to get the key, my sword, and to strap my chain mail on me underneath my leather jacket. I was all suited and ready to face anything.



“Efferion!” I called out. “Remember your promise!” A second or so later, she showed up, looking slightly less chipper than last time I saw her. ‘Must have yanked her from playtime with her special Murdo,’ I thought. “Bout time.”

“Sorry. I was doing something that I wished I wasn’t.” I rolled my eyes. Knew it.

“Whatever, you ready?”

She took in a deep breath. “Yes, you have my power around you.”

“You sure?”

“Yes.”

“Ok. Here we go.” I took the key out from my pocket and stuck it forward just like Councilwoman Kelo said, like I was unlocking a door. I turned the key and a gush of hot air rushed at me from the edges of the portal. I pushed the invisible door open to see a land of red before me. I stepped through, taking the key with me as I went, the door silently sealing behind me.

Everywhere I looked was nothing but different shades and hues of red. The dry and cracked ground, the sky (if you could call it that), rocks, thorn covered plants, all red. The air was foul and thick. I couldn’t stand to breathe too deep. Lord knows I didn’t need to start choking. There was no sun, no moon, stars, clouds, nothing, just a deep red space that should have been the sky. Smoke steamed out here and there from the cracks in the ground. No wonder they wanted to leave this place, it was a shithole.

A sudden scent filled my senses, a sweet one, one that dug deep in my core. Annalise, my whole body knew that the intoxicatingly alluring aroma came from her. How did she manage to hide this from me before? It was overwhelming but not in a bad way, like I really, really enjoyed it, like I could smell it forever and be the happiest woman on the earth. Maybe the rancid air wouldn’t choke me after all. I filled my lungs with her delicious scent as I looked over at her. She seemed different somehow.

“Which way do we go?” I forced myself to ask
.
“That way.” She said as she pointed our direction.

“Let’s go. It’s too open here.” She nodded and began to follow me on our march to the Murdo castle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were soon making our way through the rough and thorny plants that infested their land. I used my brand new machete that I’d got specifically for this trip. Its blade easily hacked and slashed away the branches of thorns in my way. I zero intentions of ruining my old jacket until at least I got to dome actual fighting. I mowed down a path for us.

“I’m sorry I asked you to come here. I wished that I never had to.”

“That makes two of us.” I quietly responded.

“But it’s good to finally see you in person. Your agreeing to come gave me some strength, I think.”

“Shhhh! Get down!” I cut her off as I could distinctly smell a patrol of Murdo approaching our area. I remembered how much they stank from when I faced them decades ago. And their disgusting rank was threatening to overpower Annalise’s enchanting perfume which I was definitely not in the mood for. Annalise crouched down with me, confusion all over her sweet face.

“Why are we doing this?” I gave a quick nod in their direction.

“Murdos.” Annalise smiled, practically giggling.

“They can’t see you, smell you, or hear you in any way, so long as I’m here. You’re under my protection, remember?”

“Oh.” I said as I stood back up, feeling the very tiniest of foolish.

“Why didn’t you tell me it was going to be like that?”

“You didn’t ask.” She stood back up too. “But I won’t always be with you though.”

“What?” I angrily snapped.

“If he calls, I have to go or else he’ll hunt for me and we don’t want that.” I sighed with annoyance. “But don’t worry, you’ll still be protected, just not as much.”

“How much is not as much?”

“I don’t exactly know. My they won’t be able to see you but they might be able to hear you. I’m just not sure really.”

“Great. Can we get moving now?” I resumed my trek to the castle.

“Can we not walk so fast? I don’t have the same energy-“

My abrupt turn around hushed her. I glared at her. “Look, I want to get there and get this over with as soon as possible. But if I slow down, will you quit talking?” She swallowed hard.

“Yes, I promise.”

“Ok.’ I turned back around and went on my way, just slightly slower to appease Princess Pain-In-The-Ass.

2 comments:

  1. Oooooohhh! Good build up to the action! Can't wait to read the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to give it away, but it might be unexpected :)

    ReplyDelete