Translate

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The More I See You
Chapter 12

“Oh God no…” She said with quiet horror.

“What?” I looked over at her and I could read it all over her face. He was calling for her. “Again?! Now?” She nodded, tears in the corners of her eyes. I stopped my walking with her still clinging to my side.

“This might be it for me. He might take the rest of my magic and, and…” She was starting to lose it.

“Just go. We’re not far now. Try to delay him. But go now.” She nodded again and faded away. I had been practically carrying her still which cost us time because I couldn’t move very fast with her arms wrapped around my stomach and her scent burning a deep hole in the core of me. But I was now alone and I had to defy the Councilwoman’s orders to not run once again. I had been holding back on my speed but there was no time for that anymore. Time was up, the bell sounded and I was still behind. I took off like a shot through the thorny vines, a wind through the branches.



Within a minute or so, I could sense a drop off coming ahead of me. I stopped just short of the cliff’s edge. Directly before me, I saw the Murdo’s castle; a black ugly thing with random towers and a huge gate. I could sense that there was a ton of movement behind its walls. I was causing a big stir. Good, I thought, I was up for a little challenge. I looked down to see how far I’d have to drop and what I’d be landing on. The ground looked clear enough so I jumped down. Probably was a good 500 feet or so but that was nothing for me. I landed on my feet and began running again. My run to the castle took no more than six or so minutes when the walk would have taken at least six or more hours. I had no idea how I was going to get beyond the outer walls but, hell, I’d figure it out.

I was nearing the clearing around the castle when I saw a figure standing directly in my path. And then I watched her collapse to the ground. I was over her in a blink. I still wore my gloves.

“Annalise,” I breathlessly said. Her face was smeared in blood, eyes fluttering. Her bloodied hand tried to reach my face but fell back down.

“He didn’t take all my power yet but he knows you’re coming soon.” She quietly said.

“It’s ok, he’s not going to stop me, none of them will.” I had begun to feel a dip in my strength and energy earlier but I would have to deal. There was no blood for me to drink and I had to make it through, I demanded it of myself. Nothing was going to stop me, nothing.

“Sasha, I want to tell you, how I feel about you.” She was so weak but I still didn’t want to know how she felt about me. I’d been so mean to her, I tried to push her away keep her away. I didn’t want her to feel a tenth, no a millionth of what I felt for her.

“No, it’s ok. Don’t-“ she cut me off.

“I think you’re the one. You’re brave, strong, courageous, and a hero, my hero. I’ve always admired you and I think you’re a beautiful soul. I-“ my heart couldn’t take her words.

“Stop, Annalise, stop. You need to conserve your strength.” The sadness in her eyes went deeper than what I’d seen before from her and I wasn’t the one who caused it this time.

“I have to go back.” I knew he was calling her again and I nodded. My mind suddenly wondered on how exactly I was going to get through the guarded walls. “When this is over, if I find a way for us to be together, would you…” she trailed off, maybe afraid of my answer. I didn’t think before I spoke.

“Just don’t get caught trying to find a way.” What did I just say?! Stupid woman! A small and very brief smile touched her lips.

“Take the gate off to the right. Follow the tunnel to the end where there’s a staircase. It will lead you to the east tower. I will be in the west tower. Come find me.” And she faded away. Ah hell, I thought, why couldn’t I stop myself from telling her that? No matter how much I wished that there was a way for us, I knew there wasn’t. We’d be found and then dead. But I gave her hope, that’s exactly what I did. And maybe that’s exactly what she needed at this moment, to keep her going. I sighed. I had to get my head back in the situation. I needed to find this gate and get my ass moving. I took off in the direction that she said and found my way inside.

2 comments:

  1. I am anxious to read the next chapter to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about to get a little exciting, I'll only say that :)

    ReplyDelete