Translate

Monday, June 16, 2014

The More I See You
Chapter 14

My eyes shot open, the waves had died down or maybe I’d found some dry land. I began to cough. My body still hurt all over. Where the hell was I now, I thought. Her scent suddenly filled all of my senses.

“Sasha, hi.” She said as she came into focus above me. “I got the poison out but it caused a lot of damage.” I was lying on a bed, a very soft frilly bed. Butterflies on strings hung down from the ceiling over me and a pretty, warm glow of a lamp lit up the room. I started to sit up, my shoulder screamed out at me, making me shut my eyes.

“Where am I?” I had a pretty good idea but I asked anyway.



“At my place, in Tribeca.” Really? All this time, she was right here in my city and I had no idea. Her cautious voice stilled my thoughts. “I didn’t actually know where you lived, sorry.” The warning signal went off in my brain again as it had the first time I met her. I had to get out of there and now.

“I have to go.” The pain in my shoulder wasn’t going to stop me, I decided. Being this close to her, in her place, and at her full Efferion strength was more temptation than I could handle. I was weak and I knew it. I got off her comfy bed, grabbing up my sword that was lying right next to me, and turned my hunting skills on just to try to drown out all that was going on around me. I needed blood but I wanted her more.

“But what about what you said about me trying to find a way for us?” I held up my good hand. I had let things get too far away but this was the end of all that. It just wasn’t going to happen, damnit all anyway.

“Things are complicated now. I just said that to keep you going.” Lie, lie, lie my ass off. “I have to leave.” She watched me make for her bedroom door, chocking back anymore words and tears. I couldn’t look at her as I left. I needed to get as far away from her as I could and besides, I needed some fresh blood in me. And I couldn’t find one shred of ‘thank you’ or ‘I’m sorry to share’. I would have stayed if I could have dug up those words.

Once I got my bearings on the streets, I headed to one of the more filthier parts of the city to get me something, anything to drink. I stopped mid route, remembering that I still had my sword on me. Yeah, that’s what I needed, to be walking around with this glowing sword, hanging from my belt. So, I made a U-turn and began the minor detour home. I felt so weak, so depleted. New blood was the only way to help me heal. On my way, I found a drunken waste of a crackhead for my first taste. God, did his blood taste good going down! It was like I hadn’t had a drink in months. I didn’t kill him but I thought about it. My entire body demanded more. Sword first, then more, I reminded myself. His donation was enough to get me home and then to my next destination.

Coming into my apartment felt like a rush of cool, crisp air to the lungs. No red rocks, no red thorn vines, no pungent stank, just home. I looked at my jacket and clothe. I was an absolute mess. Yeah, my leather jacket was toast. It wasn’t my favorite but oh well, it’s done. I figured I could use a little clean up before I headed back out. So, to my room I went.

It was just as soon as I’d put my sword down on the chair in my room when I knew I wasn’t alone. I stormed out into the living room.

“Oh what now?” It was the same council guard who had come to collect me a few nights ago. I really hooped he could feel my complete annoyance. I hadn’t even peeled my shredded jacket off.

“The council would like to see you wand welcome you home.” I let out a very intentionally heavy exhale.

“Well, that’s great. But I just got home, I’m a mess, my shoulder’s tore up, and I really could use some blood. So, can you tell the council to give me some time to get myself together? I mean, can you not smell the nasty stank rolling off of me?” The guard blinked a few times and held his hand up to his nose. Yeah, that’s what I thought.

“How much time are you asking?”

“Like a few nights. Like three, ok? Come back in three nights and I’ll be all good. Alright?” He nodded.

“I will tell them.” I could see the disgusted look on his face, probably from my stench. Ok, so I’d have to burn these clothes.

“I get it. I’m going to go clean up now, so if you’d please leave.”

“Yes.” And he was gone. I shook my head and went off to the washroom. The shower was calling my name, stomach growling and all.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, lots to wrap up in the next chapter. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and it's a long chapter coming. Might have it up this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete