Translate

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Just One Kiss
Chapter 12
The baby was crying again. The sound woke me and I sat up with a sharp jab to the ribs. I would really have to quit falling asleep with this pain in the butt corset on. I heard the wails of the child as if it was being tortured. Was no one taking care of it, I wondered. Well, I wasn’t going to let that happen as long as I was here. My maternal instincts were switched on. I left Liam’s room and headed straight for Lady Juliet’s room. But just before I tested the door handle, I heard a woman speaking within. I recognized this as Lady Juliet’s voice.


“Hush, sweet baby boy. Mummy’s got you now.” All other sounds were drowned out in my ears, only the reverberation of Lady Juliet’s words bounced around in my brain. Mummy’s got you, she had said. I’d heard her clear as day. This baby had not belonged to the servant girl but to Lady Juliet. I was dumbstruck. When my mind returned, I had determined that I had no choice other than to speak with Lady Juliet now, damn the consequences of Liam’s anger.

I knocked on her door and after some very audible shuffling noises, she responded. “Yes? Come please?”

I opened the door with my head bowed. “Lady Juliet, I need to talk to you.” I raised my head slowly to meet her gaze. Her eyes grew wide after a few moments of studying me.

“Who be you?” She demanded caustically.

“My name is Kate. I’m from the far future. I am your descendant.” She stared at me in absolute disbelief. I was compelled to keep talking. “Liam was never woken up by you. I did it, 556 years from now. Liam used a potion to bring us-“

She cut me off by the gesture of her hand. “Malcom had a hand in this?” I nodded. “Then I believe you. What do you want of me?” She said with the utmost seriousness.

“It’s not that I want something from you, more of a request. All I ask is that you take very good care of your son. Without him, I don’t exist.” She sat there stunned.

“My son, I do not know what you speak of.”

“I saw him when he was crying earlier. He has your eyes.”

“Tabatha was not here?” She wondered aloud.

“She calmed him down and left the room so I went in. Sorry about that. But that’s part of the reason why Liam had brought me back here. We know that I’m your descendant but there still the matter of my family name which is Harlow.” She was disturbed by this fact.

“Surely he does not believe that I am working with that wretched man?”

“No. But he doesn’t know what to think of the inconclusive results that came up when we tested whether or not I was related to his uncle.”

“Malcom’s magic.” She understood what he was capable of, probably seen some of it herself.

“Yeah. So, we know that my blood is your blood.” She nodded. I was really trying to not say things that would confuse her. I was thinking of how Liam would say things.

“You will tell Liam of my child, will you not?” It was like I’d be telling on her, that she ate the last piece of candy or something else to imply guilt.

“Why can’t you tell him?”

“Oh no, he would surely be angry with me. I cannot.”

“You weren’t going to tell him at all? I mean, I think he would have noticed after a while.”

“I had plans to return to my mother after Edmund was arrested and forbidden to return.”

“Edmund? Who’s that?” Well now, I’d know who those women were talking about earlier even if I had no idea what they were all saying.

“Edmund be his uncle.”

“Oh, well, he’d never said his name.”

“He hates the fiend, ‘tis not surprising he would not address him as so.”

“Back to your plans though. You had planned to leave your son with your mother?”

“Oh no, with his father. He would raise our son and I would never see him again.” She looked over towards the grunting baby in his basket. Liam had said that they’d not slept together so now I knew that the real father was somewhere far from here and definitely not Uncle Edmund, thank God.

“But I just don’t get how you could give him up like that. He’s your son.” She looked back up at me.

“This be not a choice I make lightly. The decision of my life has been already made by my father, God rest his soul. And I would not have Liam disgraced by having to raise my son. I would have Nicholas know his true father. Richard is a good man and he will be a good father. I only wish I were allowed to stay with my son.”

“You love this Richard, don’t you?” She nodded. “And you have a son together?” She nodded again. “So, why do you want to marry Liam if he’s given you the choice of freedom?”

“Our fathers signed a contract.”

“Yes but he can release you.”

“Would you have me dishonor my father?” She looked away, sadness washing over her face. “My mother would be highly displeased. I cannot do such a thing to her. We have already lost so much since mine father died.”

“But instead of following your heart, you’re going to make your mother happy by entering into a loveless marriage while you abandon your son and the man you actually love? Does that sound about right? Lady Juliet-“ She interrupted me.

“I am no lady. I have no title. This be one of the things we lost along with our land and home. If I marry Liam, I will regain my title.”

“You do this to yourself, your son, all for a title?” She gave no response. “Who would you rather marry?”

“Mine Richard.”

“Then marry him. A title isn’t everything. Love, on the other hand, is. Do you really want to let this sweet baby go?” She began to shed some tears.

“No. I could not let him go when I had promised to come here. He is only but two weeks old and I love him with all my heart. He is my joy, my sunrise, my sunset.” She rapidly wiped at her tears.

“Don’t leave him then. Stay with him. Why torture yourself Juliet?” She looked to be in such agony over this. All I wanted to do was comfort her. I slowly approached the bed. “May I sit?” I asked hopefully. She only nodded in response so I took a seat next to her. This bed wasn’t as lavish as Liam’s but it wasn’t bad either. I gently put my arm around her quaking shoulders as she wept. “I didn’t mean to upset you. I just would like to see you happy and your son in a loving home with both of his parents.”

“I know it is so but I have had much suffering over my decision.” She paused to look at me with her tear soaked eyes. “So you believe with all your heart he would free me without penalty? When he learns of my son and my Richard he may not act so kindly. After all, I have betrayed him and our betrothal.” I patted her shoulder and gave a smile that I hoped would comfort her.

“Let me talk to him first and then, tomorrow, everything will get settled.” I could see the relief in her sad smile.

“I thank you Kate. I hope that he will listen to you. He does seem different since I arrived. We haven’t spent much time with one another since were but children. But the look he carries on his face says to me that there is something he is not revealing. Perhaps he also wishes to break our betrothal.”

“Do you think so? What had he been saying to her, I wondered.

“I do. I also believe he did not bring you here to simply recover the truth of Edmund’s plans. He may see something more in you.” She said with a smile as I remembered our kiss from this morning. His words echoed in my mind.

“Be that as it may, I’m not staying in this time. I can’t and I do not belong here, never mind feelings. My own words stung me. It was the thought of letting him go that did it. Oh Liam, how you have crept up into my mind and heart. Juliet patted my knee and woke me out of my thoughts.

“Then enjoy your time here while you are allowed.” The baby began whimpering which drew both our attentions. “Oh, Nicholas, you are awake.” She got off the bed and went to pick him up. She returned to her spot on the bed next to me, the infant in her arms. “Shhhhh, my sweet. Mummy’s go you.” She rocked him gently in her arms and patted his little bottom. His tiny cries died down.

“See, you’re a natural!” I marveled over this innocent child that had no idea that my life depended on his own.

“Would you care to hold him?” She offered. The thought surprised me, though I wasn’t quite sure why.

“Sure. I would love to.” She carefully handed me the pacified baby boy. I cradled him as she had a moment ago. He was so small and sweet. And he was absolutely beautiful with his button noes and cherub mouth. His little hand just barely curled around the tip of my thumb. Soon, he was once again asleep. After a few moments, Juliet took the baby from me and then we continued to talk for a while longer. She asked me about myself and we got to know each other better.

I wasn’t sure how long I’d spent talking with Juliet but it was the supper bell that interrupted our conversation. We said our goodbyes shortly before Tabatha returned to the room so Juliet could go eat. I now anxiously returned to Liam’s room. God, what was I could to tell him, or matter of fact, how was I going to tell him about Juliet and her baby? My mind ran through a few suggestions as I crossed the hall. I opened the door to find I was not alone. Liam had returned as was arranging supper on the small table. ‘Oh God’ was my only thought.


4 comments:

  1. I had forgotten that she was supposed to be a descendant of Juliet's baby son. Hmmmm. The plot thickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe :) I couldn't make it all about Liam and Kate, all though it is rather tempting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice chapter... It's good that Kate isn't content minding her own business, but telling Juliet that she should stay with her baby... whether or not she marries Richard is one thing, but never give up your baby. Never! I like Kates response, "Then marry him. A title isn’t everything. Love, on the other hand, is" great line... enjoyed reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you sir! Sometimes I just can't help injecting a bit of my own sensefull advise into my stories :)

    ReplyDelete