Translate

Monday, March 17, 2014

Just One Kiss
Chapter 17
The sound of an approaching horse drawn carriage abruptly ended Juliet and my conversation. We sat on her bed, Tabatha minding the baby, all three of us were frozen in our spots, listening to the noises that came from outside below her window. The castle had been intentionally made quite, all the furnishing shrouded in fake mourning over the supposed death of its lord. We heard the front door creak open slowly and the sound of footsteps followed.


“No one to greet me upon my arrival?” The voice of an older English man called out from the downstairs hall. The front door groaned close and we heard him walk further within the castle. Juliet scrambled off the bed, grabbing my hand as she rushed to her bedroom door. She turned to me, a hushed finger over her lips, and cracked open the door, peering out into the darkness. With her hand still clasped over mine, she pulled through the door and down the stairs to the landing. She opened a door there that I’d not seen before. We silently crept into a darkened room as the door shut behind me. I heard her moving something and then suddenly, a fire began to light in front of me. She’d found a candle to light so we could see where we were better. We made our way down a short stair set and I noticed the things that were stacked around us. There were sacks and barrels filled with grains. We made our way through a narrow arch to find ourselves in the kitchen. She obviously knew where we were and led me to the main door that opened up to the dining room. The door was slightly open and I could see the light of the fireplace glowing across the dining room. I leaned against the door jamb while Juliet crouched down next to the door. I’d wondered if she could see as well as I could through the small opening. At the end of the table, I could see a man sitting, waiting. It was Liam.

“Welcome uncle.” Liam said as I assumed Edmund had entered the dining room. I guessed he had followed the light from the fireplace since it was the only light throughout the lower floor of the castle. “Please have a seat as the sheriff will arrive post haste.”

“What is this?” I strained to turn to try to see his uncle but I could only make out the smallest sliver of his face. I would have loved to see his expression just then.

“I am afraid the news of my death has been quite misleading. My apologies for disappointing you. But since I knew that any invitation I extended for your surrender would be rejected, I felt compelled to set this small entrapment for you.”

“Surrender?” I could hear the laughter in his voice. “What in heaven’s name are you speaking of?”

“Why your freedom, of course, for trying to usurp my position as lord of this castle and land. You cannot buy the love of my people. Nor can you kill me by your frivolous attempts. You think me to not be protected?” Edmund took a step forward and I could now see him fully.

“What would give you those ridiculous notions?” He said cool and evenly.

“You do not think I would know that it was you who lit the fire to destroy the McTavish farm and then I would not be shown the gift you gave them so they would see your false sympathy?” Edmund folded his arms over his chest.

“I had only but heard of their misfortune-“ Liam cut him short.

“Ah, but too quick was your gift! And not nearly a recompensation for all that they had lost, not near enough. McTavish himself saw your henchmen do the dirty deed, and it was that same blackheart who delivered the chest you sent. I know of your treachery and it does not end with that single act. No, Uncle Edmund, not by far.”

Edmund suddenly lost his calm composure. “You impudent boy! You are unworthy of these lands, those titles! Not your father, not your brother, and most certainly not you! You have been a thorn in my side from the moment your mother found you to be in her womb. Your hapless brother was easy to get rid of, an idle dreamer who was far too much like his father. And luck spun me a fortune when your mother died in birth to you. I needed to be more clever when it came to dispose of your father. How anyone could believe that he died from falling off his horse still amazes me to this moment! But you, if only I had the chance to smother you in your crib, none of my problems would exist! And then you insisted on rescuing King Edward’s favorite cousin instead of getting yourself killed as you were supposed to over there. I thought that surely someone would have had the decency to lop your head off and return it to me upon a silver platter.” Edmund shook his head. “The King foolishly gave you an English knighthood, you a spoiled Irish whelp, and his protection along with it! He left me no choice other than to find much less obvious ways of disposing of you. You are thought of as dead, why not just peacefully hand over everything and be useful to me for once in your damned life, eh boy?”

Liam roared out of his chair, sending it swiftly to the floor. “You murdering, deceitful English bastard! I will see it that you are sent to the far end of the earth where no one will ever see or hear of you again! If I could strike you down where you stand without penalty, it would be done with such speed that you would not even see my sword being drawn. Count your English blood as a blessing.”

Edmund slowly drew his sword. “You wish to challenge me, do you, you hapless Irish dog? Have at you then!” Edmund lunged towards Liam but he couldn’t match the speed it took for Liam to draw his own sword and block his attack.

“Do you honestly believe that you can best me by sword?” Liam snarled. “You stupid old man.” Edmund yelled out as he took another strike at Liam and he blocked him once again. “Oh, this is what you have got to show me? You are weak!” Edmund attempted another failing advance on Liam. Their swords crossed in a high clang. Liam twisted Edmund’s wrist, pushing the old man back. Liam aimed his sword towards Edmund. “Are you quite finished or have you not had your fill?”

Edmund narrowed his eyes. “Oh no, I’ve only just begun.” He charged Liam once again. This time, not only did Liam easily defend himself he attacked back. It wasn’t long before Liam disarmed Edmund and sent him crashing to the floor. Liam pointed his sword at the defenseless Edmund.

“You are to be banished from these lands lest you show yourself and I will end your miserable life with great joy. Now, stay as you are until such time as you are removed from my sight.” The look of fear was plain across Edmund’s face as Liam turned to retrieve Edmund’s sword. It was just as soon as Liam turned his back that I saw Edmund draw a dagger from his boot. The old man was on his feet in no time and racing after Liam with the intent to kill. I had to cover my mouth to stifle the scream out to Liam. But Liam had heard Edmund’s movements and turned just before being plunged in the back with the dagger.

I couldn’t watch. I turned away and slumped down against the wall. Juliet raced out of the kitchen door while I stared into the darkness. I’d heard the gargle of someone dying but I couldn’t dare to see the scene in the dining room. My mind was crashing down all around me. Oh God, Liam, Liam, my thoughts cried out. My hands flew to my ears as tears burned my cheeks, flooding my eyes. And I knew in that instant that I’d just lost the man I loved.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no! Surely, Liam could not have died. That would be awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suspense is a wonderful thing, sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete