Translate

Monday, March 17, 2014

Just One Kiss

Chapter 16
During dinner, Juliet brought up the topic of how Liam came across having his titles of Lord and becoming a knight. I had a feeling she knew part or most of his story and was just asking so I would know more about Liam since I had not asked him about himself all too much. His story began when he was 17. He was fighting in the War of the Roses in Dover, England. He was talented with his sward in battle so he had all ready gained a higher ranking than most of his fellow soldiers. King Edward’s men had divided Liam’s company and he found himself fighting alone. After killing his three assailants, he went to search for the others in his regime. He came upon a noble who was dressed in King Henry’s colors and was being attacked by four men. He struck down the four Yorkists and went to help the wounded Lancastrian nobleman. The nobleman revealed himself to be the king’s favorite cousin and asked Liam if he would go with him to see the king. Liam willing obliged and found himself knighted upon the demanded request of King Henry’s cousin.


As for his lordship, he became a lord when his father died two years ago. He was forced to either retire from fighting for the king or give away his title, home, and land. While he hated quitting being a soldier, the thing he loved most, he was not about to give away his birthright, especially not to some Englishman, more specifically, his uncle Edmund. Since this area was currently controlled by the English, King Edward was always looking for worthy nobles and other Englishmen to give Irish lands to that were within his boundary. But because Liam had control of the land and was well loved by the people who lived within his territory, the King wasn’t willing to simply oust Liam. Only the natural death of Liam or his willingness to give it up to remain in battle, would allow Edmund to be able to take over. And since neither were true, Edmund plotted ways to get Liam out of the picture. He’d tried winning over the hearts of his people and attempting ways to have him killed where it looked like he wasn’t involved but neither succeeded. When I heard these last details, everything made sense as to why Edmund was such a scumbag and why Liam had originally come up with the idea to fake his death. Edmund wanted it all even though none of it was actually his to claim. And now, he believed that he was coming to this castle tonight to claim Liam’s lordship and land. Boy, was he in for a surprise, I mused. We sat for a little while longer at the dinner table, after we’d finished our meal. Juliet and I would have to make ourselves scarce while Edmund was around. I was very curious, however, as to what would go down between Liam and his uncle.

As the servants came and cleared off the table before us, we decided to make our way upstairs to Juliet’s room. She tended to her son while Liam and I silently watched both her and each other. I sat on the bed but he kept to the wall by the door. I couldn’t tell if he wanted to run out of the room or if the wall was holding him prisoner. The sight of him standing there stirred my feelings that I was doing my damnedest to suppress. God help me, but I wanted him to take me in those strong, solid, muscular arms of his and hold me. I had to force myself to look away from him. As soon as Juliet had the baby pacified, she returned to us.

“The arrival of mine uncle is neigh so I would ask that the both of thee to stay hidden. What is to happen between mine uncle and I will most certainly not be pleasant.”

“But of course Liam.” Juliet responded for the both of us. “We will remain out of sight.” He nodded.

“Now, if you will excuse me for the final preparations that I must attend to and to see to the nearness of the sheriff.” He bowed and when he looked up, I had the distinct feeling that the warm smile on his face was just for me. The glint in his astonishing blue eyes to me I was right. Liam left us then and Juliet and I turned to each other.

“So, what are we going to do while his uncle is here?” I asked her.
A smile spread across her all too familiar face. “I fully intend on watching Liam serve that blaggard his just rewards.”

“But, wait, didn’t you just promise Liam we’d hide?” I was confused.

“Ah yes, that I did and we will remain out of sight but only in so that they would not see us.”

I got it now. “Ok, but where do you suppose they’ll have it out?”

“I am sure that will prove rather easy.” She said with her mischievous grin. I had the full impression that she all ready knew where Uncle Edmund would receive what he deserved.

2 comments: