Translate

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Just One Kiss
Chapter 14

I didn’t remember my dreams from that night. But I woke up feeling stiff, as if I’d been curled up in a ball the entire night. Liam wasn’t around like yesterday, he’d let me sleep late again. I suddenly wondered when his less than beloved uncle would show up. My time here was almost over and now I wanted nothing more than to be back with my friends and family. I didn’t think I could handle too much more alone time with Liam, my heart was starting to hurt simply because I couldn’t have him and that’s all that my heart really wanted. He actually did trouble me. Every time he stepped back and said no, it was another knock down at my heart. Why, oh, why is the only man I want back in medieval Ireland? No one could compare to him, I realized this. I was in pain over this whole thing.


The quick knock on the door followed by Liam’s gorgeous face appearing took me from my thoughts. I sat up in the bed, my knees to my chest, and the blankets covering me. He held a tray of what I guessed to be breakfast.

“Ah, you have awoken I see.” He playfully said with a delighted grin on his face. “I thought that we might share a breakfast together.” I felt cold.

“What about last night? All that you said?” He sat the tray on the table and turned to me.

“Does that mean we cannot share breakfast?” The look on his face was that of sad boy who has just been told no desert. He was tearing at my heart, once again.

“Liam…” I got off the bed, the covers cloaked around me, and walked over to him. There were a million things I wanted say, what was the point? This would all be over soon enough. He cast his sad eyes on me. “I- let’s just eat, sorry.”

“Are you not well? What is the matter?” His sad eyes now held concern.

“No, I’m fine, it’s ok. Please, let’s eat, I’m hungry.”

“Very well. Please have a seat.” He pulled out the chair for me and I accepted the gesture. “I made something special for this morning.”

‘You made the food?” I asked, surprised he even knew where the kitchen was considering his upbringing.

“Collum helped.” He admitted. “But the idea be mine.” Liam removed the covers from over the dishes to reveal egg, cheese, and bacon sandwiches.

“Oh, Liam, this looks wonderful. I thought I told you to forget about what I said about sandwiches.”

“I know but I be curious about them and I thought that you would enjoy such a meal as this.” I smiled. He had tried and made something special just for me.

“Ok, well, it looks tasty, so let’s eat before it gets cold.”

“Right.” He sat down and rubbed his hands together in anticipation. “How do you eat this?”

“Just watch me.” I picked up the sandwich and took a big bit. It was unbelievably delicious. “Mmmmmm, it’s so good Liam. You did a really good job.” He imitated me, taking a big bite out of his sandwich. He appeared to understand what I was going on about.

“Mmmm, oh, this is absolutely amazing! Now I understand why you love sandwiches.”

“Hmmhmm.” I agreed with my full mouth. It was a huge sandwich that took both of my hands to eat. We chowed down in silence, both of us completely enjoying the food. I gulped down milk in between every other bite. I was full and happy. A job well down on breakfast. Now, it was time to find out today’s plan. I sat back in my chair, the bed covers draped over the back, and took one last drink of my milk to finish it. “So, what are you going to say to Lady Juliet?”

“I’ve all ready spoken with her and my servants. The servants told me what I wanted to hear about who they think is working with mine uncle and things are settled between Lady Juliet and I. She confessed to all that you told me and I was true to my word. She is free to marry Richard now.”

“Good then. You weren’t mad or anything, right?”

“No. Things went well. She was happy, hugged me in fact, and also introduced her child to me. You did not mention she named him after me. He is a sweet babe.” He said with a tender grin.

“Well, I’m happy you’ve worked things out with her and that she’s free to do what her heart wants. But what will you do now?”

He shrugged. “Whatever it is intended for me to do.” I didn’t quite understand what he had meant. Maybe he didn’t even really know what was his next move would be after dealing with his uncle. His future hadn’t been written since he changed his plans to sleep in the death-like state that I had found him in a couple of days ago.

“Ok, well, what time is your uncle supposed to be here?”

“Late, around half past seven, as I recall.” He paused. “Lady Juliet has requested your company. It seems she had rather enjoyed your meeting yesterday.”

“Really? What time is it now?” I’d hoped it wasn’t that early in the morning.

“My guess that it would be neigh 10.”

“Oh, wow. Why’d you let me sleep so late?” I playfully chastised him.

“I simply could not disturb your peaceful slumber. You had the look of an angel upon your closed eyes.” I think I felt my cheeks mildly flush.

“I suppose I can’t argue with you.” Just then my mind flashed to how I looked and the want, no, need of a bath took over. “Will Collum be bringing fresh bath water for me?” I could tell that I’d kind of confused him by how he knit his eyebrows together.

“You wish to bathe again today?”

“I bathe every day at home.” He shrugged again.

“I will tell him to do so. Be there anything else you require, my lady?” He asked as an amused grin spread over his face.

“No.” I said as I wrinkled my nose at him. “Just a bath and some clean clothes.”

“But of course, my lady.” He said and gave a bow as he stood. “All shall be as you desire.” He looked as though he was going to say something else or had other thoughts, I wasn’t sure. He closed his mouth with a light smile, turned and left the room after his strange pause. I stared at our empty dishes, my heart dragging after his sweetness. I thought that maybe I could spend most of the rest of the day with Juliet and away from him, and maybe, just maybe this pain I felt would go away on its own. Everything about him hurt me; the achingly gorgeous sight of him, the intoxicating manly smell of him, and the sexy timbre of his voice. I prayed that leaving him wouldn’t kill me.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, poor Kate. Why do we so often want the one we can't have. I am lucky I got the one I wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! :) Now, if he'd just come back from Orlando....

    ReplyDelete