Translate

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

And now, we've come to the end of my little story!  I really do hope you've enjoyed reading it.  I know it has become one of my favorites of all that I've written.  Thank you again for reading!
Just One Kiss
Chapter 19

The sound of the morning birds woke me. The sun was already filling the room with its warm golden rays. Oh dear God, what a night! Was it real, my mind wondered. Had we really made love so many times? The dull ache that resonated from in between my legs was all the answer I needed. I felt the space of the bed that was next to me. Empty as usual. His absence made me wonder what time it was and then the thought hit me, my time with him was over today. I was going back to my time and my friends and soon. Oh, I was a mess! I just had the most amazing night of my life with the man that I loved but now I had to leave him forever. I covered my face with his abandoned pillow. I just wanted to scream.


A knock came at the door not a moment later. I threw the pillow to the side. “Come in?” I called out, hoping it was a certain someone my heart begged for. Sure enough, Liam entered the room, carrying two large buckets.

“Ah, I see you have awoke.”

“Yeah.” He set the buckets down and came over to the bed where I still laid, naked beneath the covers.

“Did you sleep?”

“A little bit.” I didn’t have much time for sleep but I got a few hours in. He wore a tentative yet sweet look to his face.

“Last night, well, I had not ever had such a night. I felt as though I could not stop. I…it was beyond anything I’d ever experienced.”

I smiled at his confession. “It’s the same for me and I really did enjoy every second of it.”

He began to smile at my response but it quickly faded to a more serious expression as he looked away from me. “Lady Juliet will be departing shortly and wishes to say farewell.” He returned his gaze to me. “And then we shall make ready for your return to your time.” His tone was nothing but stoic. I couldn’t tell if he was upset at all about me leaving. “Let me go prepare your bath.” He picked up the buckets and went off to the bathroom where I heard the pouring of water into the tub. He returned shortly. “Your garments that I had brought you here in are in the bathing chamber.”

“Thank you.” I wanted to say so much more, pour my heart out to him but I just couldn’t find the words. Besides, I wasn’t hearing any love sonnets coming from him. He probably didn’t feel as I did so why tell him and have him reject me once again, I thought. Liam nodded to my response and left me alone to my waiting bath.


Fifteen minutes had gone by before I knew it. I had bathed and dressed in my own clothes which seemed almost foreign to me after wearing those dresses and corsets for the past three days. I paced the floor, anxious about everything, demanding that I keep it together and not cry. I knew this time would come when I’d have to say goodbye. Damn me for falling for a man I couldn’t have! A knock came at the door that took me from my thoughts.

“My lady? Art thee presentable?” It was Collum. He’d been sent to get me.

“Uh yes, please come in.” He came in as requested, a smile to his face.

“Ah, my Lady Kate, shall we attend to the leaving of Lady Juliet?” I smiled back.

“Yes, I’m ready.” He took my arm as he led me out of the room and down to the front door where Liam and Juliet waited for me. Juliet quickly came and hugged me.

“Oh, I shall miss you indeed Kate!”

“I’ll miss you too Juliet. But I know you’re going to be so happy.” She stepped out of our embrace. “Just promise me that you’ll take good care of that beautiful baby boy.”

“But of course!” She gently touched my cheek, a tear waiting in her eye. “I wish thee the best for thy days and I shall never forget you.”

“Thank you. I’ll never forget you either.” She hugged me again.

“Goodbye Kate, my daughter.”

“Goodbye Juliet.” She gave me one final squeeze before letting me go. She turned to Liam then. They hugged and said a few quiet things to one another. Juliet then made her way out of the castle, Tabatha in tow with Nicholas in his basket in her arms.

I hadn’t noticed when Collum left us but I found myself alone with Liam. We looked at each other for what seemed like forever before I noticed his outstretched hand. In his hand was a smile vial that looked just like the one that had brought us here in the first place. I knew it was meant for me to take me back to my time. I was tempted to not take it from his hand. Would it really be so bad to live in this century, I wondered. But I knew I didn’t belong here anymore than I belonged Liam.

“Be you ready?” He asked.

I wanted to hurl myself at him, to cry, scream, throw a tantrum but I stifled those childish thoughts. “As ready as I’m going to be.”

“It will be quick, as it was before. You’ll return to my family crypt where I promise you won’t find me sleeping in that stone box again. You’ll never have hurt yourself or have worried your friends about your disappearance.”

“Liam, if things were different-“ He cut me off with the raising of his other hand a shake of his head.

“No, we musnt think of these things. I can only thing of my gratitude for your help. You have saved Lady Juliet’s life and even mine own. I will be eternally grateful for all that you have done. But the moment has come for you to return to your own time where you belong. Please take the vial.”

I shakily reached out and took the small glass tube from his waiting hand. He swallowed hard. “Goodbye Kate.”

I bit my lower lip because I didn’t want him to see it trembling. The tears were demanding an escape. “Goodbye Liam.” I uncorked the vial and threw the green liquid down my throat. His face became a fuzzy vision and then darkness consumed me.



I awoke to find myself curled up next to a stone pediment, my arms cradling my head on its surface. Once my eyes adjusted, I saw that it was Liam’s crypt that I was next to, the same one from three days ago. His beautifully carved face brought the burning tears out in full force. I buried my face in my arms, unable to hold back my emotions. Why, oh why did I leave him, my heart begged for an answer that my mind could not find.

“Kate, please don’t cry.” I heard his voice in my brain and chocked up even more. It was when I felt a hand on my shoulder that I realized maybe I hadn’t heard my own imagination. I turned my head around to see who had come to comfort me.

Liam stood above me, a dreamy smile plastered on his face. I wiped at my eyes, in total disbelief at what my own eyes were seeing. "Please don’t cry love.”

“Oh my God, Liam!” I practically sprung up off the cobbled floor, and flung myself in his arms. He gathered me up and squeezed me tight against his solid chest. “Are you real? Are you here? Why? How?”

“Yes, I am real and I am here.” I looked up at his amused face. “Why, because I couldn’t take it to be without you. And how, Malcom couldn’t stand to see me so miserable.”

“You went to sleep again?”

“Yes, but Malcom personally made sure he woke me up this go round. I’ve been awake for the past two months, waiting for you and learning, learning, learning.” I couldn’t really fathom how much he had learned about these times and how things work now.

“So, this means you plan on staying here?” My heart was hanging on by a thread.

“Only if you want me.”

“Oh, well, of course, yes, I want you!” I paused before I spilled my soul. “I love you Liam.” His face lit up.

“Well, thank God because I’m absolutely in love with you. And I really hoped I hadn’t done all of this for nothing.”

“No, no, no, not at all. Please kiss me before I die.” He chuckled.

“I wouldn’t want that.” He playfully said just before his lips met mine and that kiss, that magical embrace, ignited the fire that I knew I’d never let go of again. And to think, all it took was just one incidental kiss to seal my entire self to this man from a different time.



Epilogue


It was true, he’d committed himself to my time and to me. Malcom had really gone all out to help Liam get set up. He’d gotten the castle remodeled and modernized with electricity, insulated walls, and technology. He’d even gotten Liam’s lordship back all though his knighthood was gone. Malcom made sure that Liam would be fully engrained in the 21st century. Ok, sure we found things here and there which Liam didn’t know about or understand but I took care of any questions he had. Malcom had been our saving grace, our hero.

I, naturally, agreed to marry Liam just as soon as he asked me, which was about a month after I’d already moved in with him. My family and friends thought I was crazy but there was no way in the world I could explain about my adventure in the 16th century to anyone. They would eventually accept my migration to Ireland. It pretty much took for them to get to know Liam and all his wonderful self. Charlie said he was ok with everything and happy for me. But I knew I’d actually broke his heart. He’s not looked at me the same for a few months now. He’ll get over, I’m sure.

As for me, I’m happy, I’m in love with a wonderful man and he’s all mine for as long as we’ve got on this earth. Life couldn’t be better.

2 comments:

  1. I love this story, too. I am so happy that Liam and Kate were able to get together. It isn't often that we are lucky enough to find true love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just had to have a happy ending :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete