Translate

Friday, April 11, 2014

The More I See You
Chapter 4

The sun rose to bring me out of my death-like sleep. I sat up and glared at my magically repaired sword and armor. The sword lightly glowed its pale blue shade once again as if it had never been broken off inside of the Murdo’s chest. I knew it had been a specially made sword, a gift, I think, to my vampire clan from some mystical people who live at the North Pole. Why they gave it to us, I have no idea but it was the only thing that stopped Vinsan from killing us all that night. It was by pure chance that I got that sword, right place, right time, cause he broke my last sword while we were fighting. Who knew it would do the trick? The council let me keep what was left of it as a token of their appreciation. I was hailed as a hero. I still get some recognition now, thankfully not like had been back in the day, but some thank yous still get thrown at me now and then.



And here they were, 60 odd years later, good as new. I had to get out of bed and make myself presentable before I called that Efferion pain-in-the-ass. I wandered out into the living room to check on my phone first, only to find I was not alone.

“You can quit staring at me and tell me why you’re here.” Yeah, I was in my bra and panties, my usual sleeping attire. The council guardsman who was standing in the center of my living room was still gawking at me.

“Councilwoman Kelo has requested your presence.” Ah shit, my brain exclaimed, they knew.

“Give me a minute to get ready, ok?” The guardsman nodded, still eyeballing me. I shook my head and went back to my room to go change. Well, my yelling at the Efferion would have to wait because now my head would be served on a silver platter no thanks to her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I soon found myself in the middle of the private quarters of Councilwoman Kelo at the Sanguis Domus, deep in the heart of God knows where (no one ever just went there, they were always brought there), waiting for her to join me. My brain persisted in its semi-panicked state, wondering when my life would start to flash before my eyes, as they say. I let out a brief sigh as she came into the room, prepared for the worst.

“Ah, Sasha. I’m so glad you could join me this evening. There is a matter that I must discuss with you.” She said as she came to stand in front of me, hands folded, dressed in her official garb, face nothing but serious. Yeah, she knew. I was as good as dead. “It is a very grave matter, one that I’d hoped to not to have to contact you over. However, seeing as that you were the only one with the experience and none have proven better, I had no other choice.” I was completely lost in confusion.

“May I ask what is this grave matter that I am the only one who has experience with?” She looked like she was going to say something but then stopped as if she was, ah hell, reading my thoughts. A knowing grin came to her lips.

“Ah, but you already know, don’t you? Your unwanted visitor has told you.” Panic again.

“Councilwoman, she came to me, I-“ She held up her hand.

“I know this, which is why there is no punishment for you. What she has told you is the truth however. The Murdo is threatening us and is near to act. And unlike his brother who attacked us without warning and because he found the way here, this Murdo has been collecting the Efferion’s power in order to finish what his brother had started.” Her sharp green eyes seemed to grow in their intensity. “You would have to go to their realm and end him there before he breaks through our seal that protects us from them. He will be unstoppable should he come through the gate. But meeting him at his home will not make killing him any easier. He will have the advantage. So you must use your stealth training to its fullest and always be on your guard. He is very strong now. He’s been syphoning the Efferion’s power for quite the while.” That knowing look came to her face again. It was almost like I could see my memories flash over her eyes. “So, the Efferion has repaired your sword and armor. Do let this be the only gifts you receive from her.” I nodded. I still planned on yelling at her over it. Never mind that she was the most gorgeous creature I’d ever seen, she needed to be set straight.

“Sasha,” she disrupted my thoughts, most likely reading what was going on in my brain. “Will you accept this burden to save us all?” As if I had a choice now.

“Yes ma’am. I will do it for us.”

The grateful smile that she gave me said it all. “Then you will need the key.” She walked across the room to the left of me and opened a large, ornate cabinet. She came back to me holding a dark wood box. She opened it and held it so I could see this rusted skeleton key. “Go to an open field and use it as if unlocking a door. The gateway between our worlds will open.” She closed the box. “You must have her powers of protection already surrounding you before you step through or they will surely know that you’re there. She must keep you in that protection until you have reached the castle. Guards patrol their land constantly. It is a three day walk from where the gateway will open to their castle, and you must walk, do not run. So I suggest that you drink more than your fill before you depart. And I may also suggest that you brush up on your fighting skills since you have not used a sword since facing the first Murdo those years ago.”

I sighed and nodded again. “Yes ma’am.”

“Very well.” She handed me the box. “You may make use of your training rooms here if you’d like. Take tomorrow night to feed and then leave as soon as you possibly can.”

“Yes ma’am. Thank you.”

“No, thank you Sasha. We will forever be in your debt.” I gave her a short bow before I turned to leave her room. “Oh, and Sasha,” she called out after me which immediately caused me to spin around to face her. “Remember to not let her touch you or get too close to you. Do keep your distance and a guard against her Efferion ways.”

“I’ll remember.” I replied. It’d be a cold day in hell before I’d let any of those things happen, I mentally added. She nodded in approval and this time I did leave. She was right, I did need some brushing up on my fighting skills. I admit, I was a bit rusty. I found my way to the combat practice room and got right to it. I didn’t end up getting back home until near dawn, tired and a little sore.

4 comments:

  1. Very mysterious! I don't fully understand what is going on, but I guess that is good. It keeps my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, maybe I can answer a few questions....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good chapter... I completely understand what's going on, Sasha needs to beat the shit out of that Murdo. lol... Am I close? : )

    ReplyDelete